Monday, December 28, 2015

Butternut Squash Soup



First, yes I do drink soup out of a cup. If the broth is liquid enough I just like to sip on it. 
Second, this butternut squash has been sitting on top of my fridge for almost a week until I had time to slice and dice it. My mushroom soup was such a success that I just had to look up another recipe and dance in the kitchen. 

I found a simple recipe online and thought it was going to be amazing. Well simple is just that simple. There was no kick to the soup. No "Mmm Mmm Good" moment and, that made me very sad. But, perhaps it's because the soup was still hot. It was still on the burner and I had just turned it off. The consistency of the broth hadn't had enough time to thicken. So, I packed it away and came back to it the next day. 

And... yah. My taste pallets were right the first time around. This soup was missing something! Simple is not always good. I knew it wasn't going to be creamy because I avoided all the recipes that called out for heavy cream. I didn't have any cauliflower in the house to thicken it up either. Oh, well. I can't be a chef at all times and I am just gonna have to suck it up and eat this soup. 

But, I couldn't do that. My mind was racing with how I can make this soup creamier after it's already done cooking. Heavy cream was not an option, there was no more of that magical veggie called cauliflower, I ate all the greek yogurt. And, then it hit me - Cottage Cheese. Don't stop reading because you think it's nasty. The combination was perfect! 

Half a cup of my already made butternut soup + two tablespoons of cottage cheese = just the right amount of creaminess and kick to make my mind stop racing on why the soup wasn't creamy and full of kicks the first time. 




Enjoy! 
<3 Mariela 

No comments:

Post a Comment